Just because you want a fancy dinner, doesn't need mean you need to put in a ton of effort. This is one of those recipes that you can easily whip up with what you have in the fridge. The steps are very simple and you can just throw the peppers in the oven and relax. I got the recipe from a friend and I modified it with things I had on hand.
Bell peppers - 3-4
For the tofu scramble -
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Onion - 1 - sliced
Garlic - about 3 cloves, smashed
Tomatoes - 3, ripe, diced
Tofu - 1 package, firm - 16 oz
Cumin powder - 2 teaspoon
Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
Garam masala - 1 tablespoon
Cayenne powder - 1 teaspoon
Uncooked brown rice - 1 cup
1. Cook the rice in 3 cups of water till soft and fluffy - my brown basmati takes 15-20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. In a pan, heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic.
3. Once done, add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
4. Crumble the tofu and add the spices and salt.
5. Once the tofu is cooked and browned, switch off the stove.
6. Slice peppers into two and de-seed them. Layer some rice and then layer the tofu on top of that.
7. Bake the peppers for 20-35 minutes. If you want to add cheese, take them out 5 minutes early, add cheese and return to oven and bake till the cheese is melted.
I know there are a couple of extra steps in there but the rice and the tofu can cook at the same time. After that all you gotta do is bake the peppers! So easy to make it vegan, vegetarian or gluten-free. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!